Palabrario & Numerario (FOTOS)
PALABRARIO & NUMERARIO
(PHOTOS: ARCHIVO FOTOGRÁFICO FUNDACIÓN CORONA)
Palabrario & Numerario is an educational program that seeks to promote the development of literacy skills and mathematical thinking in students of preschool and elementary school, through the transformation of the pedagogical practices of teachers. The work involves a joint effort between teachers, students and parents.
Line School Strengthening for K12
Level Preschool, Elementary
Program Start Date Palabrario (2006) and Numerario (2009), Palabrario and Numerario (2012)
Program Duration 3 year implementation
Yearly Average Cost per Student US $15
Yearly Average Cost per School US $10,333
CURRENT INFORMATION (2015)
Beneficiaries 23,462 students, 975 teachers, 41 educational institutions
Regions Valle del Cauca, Cundinamarca, Atlántico, Meta, Bolívar, Nariño, Cauca, Santander and Cesar.
Allies and Donors Fundación Caicedo González Riopaila Castilla, Universidad de Antioquia, Fundación Carvajal, Fundación Scarpetta, Fundación Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Buenaventura, Corporación Educativa Minuto de Dios, J.C. Kellogg Foundation.
Past Beneficiaries 9,500 teachers and 372,000 students
Previous Regions of Implementation Cauca, Valle del Cauca, Antioquia, Bolivar, Cundinamarca, Caldas
Historic Allies & Donors Natura Cosméticos , J. C. Kellogg Foundation, Fundación Colombina, Fundación Luker, Fundación Promigas, Fundación Hernán Echavarría, Fundación Argos, Fundación Fraternidad Medellín, Ecopetrol, Homecenter, Sodimac Colombia, Negocios Corona, Carrefour, Fundación Ramirez Moreno, Universidad de Antioquia, Fundación Carvajal, Fundación Caicedo Gonzalez, Fundación Mamonal and Fundalectura.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Implement a training program with emphasis on methodologies and use of teaching resources which seeks to qualify the pedagogical practices of teachers for the development of literacy and math competencies of preschool and primary students.
- Transform the pedagogical praxis of teachers allowing them to expand their role and diversify the didactic strategies in the classroom through participatory and self reflective exercises.
- Qualify teaching practices to strengthen reading, writing and mathematical logical thinking in students.
- Improve student's performance in literacy and math from the design and implementation of didactic problem-solving strategies in the classroom.
- Encourage the participation of parents and family members to promote literacy math at home in every day situations.
- Promote joint strategies of Literacy and math in teaching and learning processes.
- Encourage/accompany teachers in the systematization and dissemination of significant experiences in the school.
- Stimulate the generations of mechanisms and strategies to incorporate the program into the schools curriculum as a way to guarantee sustainability.
Despite the great advances made towards reaching various Millennium Development Goals, the country still faces significant challenges in terms of quality and equity in education. To address these challenges, the Government has called for help in improving the quality and relevance of education and skills development, especially of the impoverished and vulnerable populations. The Ministry of National Education (MEN) has joined this effort through its National Literacy Plan (PNLE) and All to Learn (PTA) programs. In spite of the important progress in the schooling of children, the crisis in the quality of learning continues to be a critical worldwide problem. According to UNESCO, there are currently 250 millions children in elementary school age or out of school, who doesn't know how to read or write. In addition, Colombian students have performed very poorly in national and international standardized tests showing that elementary schools students do not have the level they should in reading, writing and math according to their age group.
In this context, Palabrario & Numerario is a program that aims to encourage the qualification of mathematical thinking and the development of writing and reading skills from the early years of basic education to develop children's problem-solving capacities within different contexts. It furthermore contributes to the construction and strengthening of their self-recognition as individuals capable of learning and participating actively in this world of constant motion. Palabrario & Numerario focuses on the quality of education,responding to the needs that the country has identified, through teacher's training and implementation of a series of educational tools that allows to transform the classrooms practices and directly impact on children's competencies.
(PHOTOS: ARCHIVO FOTOGRÁFICO FUNDACIÓN CORONA)
Awards, Forums and Other Accomplishments
- The National Agency for Overcoming the Extreme Poverty of Colombia (ANSPE) chose P&N as one of the 20 best innovative initiatives in the country in 2012.
- The Regional Centre for the Promotion of Books in Latin America and the Caribbean (CERLALC) included P&N in its Regional Literacy Project Portfolio "Por Leer" (2010-2012), as a successful experiences of reading promotion projects in the region.
- P&N was chosen as one of the greatest programs of educational innovation in Latin America and in the world by the Center for Education Innovation.
- P&N was chosen as one of the experiences presented at the 2013 Forum for Quality Public Education in Colombia.
- In 2014 P&N participated in the II Municipal Forum for the Rights to Quality Education: Challenges and Local Perspectives to the Transformation of Education in Colombia.
- In 2014 P&N participated in the in the Symposium for Promoting Reading of the XIII National Congress of Libraries.